British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus. He was displaying mild symptoms.
In a video message posted on Twitter, the 55-year-old Johnson said he will continue to lead the UK government’s response to the deadly virus, which has claimed 578 lives in the country.
Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus, Johnson said on Twitter.
I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus. Together we will beat this, he said.
Over the last 24 hours I have developed mild symptoms and tested positive for coronavirus.
I am now self-isolating, but I will continue to lead the government’s response via video-conference as we fight this virus.
— Boris Johnson #StayHomeSaveLives (@BorisJohnson) March 27, 2020
There are more than 11,600 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, and 578 people have died – a jump of 100 in a single day on Thursday.
UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who has previously tested negative for the deadly virus after displaying cough symptoms, will be the next in command in case Johnson has to take some time off if he gets more ill.
The news comes just days after it was confirmed that Prince Charles had been diagnosed with COVID-19 but was displaying similarly mild symptoms. Clarence House said the 71-year-old heir to the British throne was self-isolating in Scotland and remained in “good health” as he continued to work from home.
Earlier this week, the prime minister’s spokesperson had confirmed that if Johnson was unwell and unable to work, Raab, as the First Secretary of State, was the selected minister to stand in.
But be in no doubt that I can continue, thanks to the wizardry of modern technology, to communicate with all my top team to lead the national fightback against coronavirus, Johnson stressed in the video message posted on his Twitter account.